The history of the English Church at San Thome, in its early stages, is closely interlinked with the history of the Vepery Mission, which is the oldest Mission of the Church of England in India, inaugurated by the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (S.P.C.K). The Vepery Mission was formed in 1728 at the instance of Benjamin Schultz, then head of the Danish mission at Tranquebar, after obtaining the permission of the King of Denmark and promise of protection from the East India Company. However, the S.P.C.K. period of the Vepery Mission came to an end in 1826 just two years before the completion of its centenary, and with it came to an end also the anomalous position of non-Anglican Missionaries engaged by an Anglican Missionary Society, now the S.P.G (Society for the Propogation of the Gospel). The San Thome Mission was the eldest daughter of the Vepery Mission, but not apparently the best-cared-for daughter, as it was a neglected mission field. And since 1810, other missionary organizations took advantage of the neglected state of the field and worked here.
Comments are off for this post